History

History

 

       The residents of the Taylorville Community Unit School District No. 3 can be proud of their high school. For over 100 years this institution has provided the community with secondary education that has seen its products, the over thirteen thousand graduates, take their places as useful responsible citizens in a rapidly changing society.

      The Taylorville Township High School was authorized by a vote of the people of Taylorville, Illinois in April, 1890, in accordance with the provisions of Illinois School law. A new building was erected near the central part of the city on what is now South Cherokee Street. Starting with an enrollment of ninety-five students, the high school soon became recognized for its educational program and the achievements of its graduates. To better serve the Taylorville community, and to allow for increased enrollment, along with added academic responsibilities, an addition to the original structure was built in 1914. The facility, which adequately served the community for many years, was vacated in 1938.

      On October 22, 1935, a special bond issue election was held for the purpose of constructing a new high school on the present site. The referendum was approved by a vote of 1822 to 335 and construction contracts for the new building were approved on December 2, 1935.

      In 1948, by referendum vote of the people, the Taylorville Community Unit District No. 3 was formed and the Taylorville High School became an integral part of this outstanding education system. In 1952, the school district organization was changed to a 6-3-3 educational plan and the high school encompassed grades 10, 11 and 12, instead of grades 9, 10, 11 and 12. In 1988, the school district again reorganized and grades 9, 10, 11 and 12 were incorporated into the high school.

      In January, 1968, the physical facilities of the high school were expanded into the areas of the building which formerly housed the junior high school. This area was vacated when the construction of a new building for grades 7, 8 and 9 was completed and the students and faculty moved into it at that time.

      Mt. Auburn High School was closed in the Spring of 1990, and students from the village of Mt. Auburn began attending Taylorville High School during the 90-91 school year. Stonington High School was closed during the Spring of 1992, and the Stonington School District was annexed by Taylorville Community Unit District #3 beginning with the 1992 - 93 school year.

      The high school, throughout its many years of existence, has continued to grow in size and quality of work. It is accredited by the North Central Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges and by the Illinois Office of Education. Its curriculum has continued to expand; it has excellent physical facilities and equipment for desirable secondary school work; and it is staffed by capable and dedicated teachers.